Oct 28, 2010

Should you really compare the obese to drug addicts?

I may not be obese nor am I morbidly overweight, but there was a time where I would have fit in those categories.  I have many friends and family members who do fit into these categories and because I once was classified as obese, I can relate to the insensitivity of some people.  I was one of the chubby kids that would always be made fun of and I would be called terrible names.  Honestly, I thought the "bullies" would grow out of their phase of disliking people for their image or hair color.  I guess I was wrong.

Through another blog, my attention was brought to this article written by Maura Kelly entitled "Should Fatties Get A Room?"  (It disgusts me to even link this article.)  This article made me sick...it actually made me nauseous and completely disgusted me to see a grown adult act so childish and immature.  She reminded me of one of those bullies that called me degrading names and made my confidence plummet to low levels.  Basically, she said that obese people on TV made her sick and so did "obese people walking across a room."  Really?  

Seeing overweight people as actors/actresses on television, in my opinion, is something that should have been done years ago.  So maybe being obese isn't healthy, but some people have conditions where they can't help it.  They don't just sit there everyday all day and eat.  Why shouldn't bigger women be able to act on television too?  In Rosanne her and her husband were overweight and there was NO controversy like there is now over the more recent shows.

What got me, was this: "To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair."  That is more or less comparing their view of someone with obesity to that of a druggie or alcoholic.

The author did write an apology, but the hurtful things she said still resonate with those who relate to the subject of the bullying.  Once a bully, always a bully...

0 comments: