Oct 1, 2012

PR Companies: How to Pitch to a Mom Blogger


Like most mom bloggers, I receive quite a few pitches via e-mail every single week.  As a mom blogger with a day job and two small childrern, I can't respond to every single pitch I receive and I do feel bad about that.  Instead, I respond to the ones that make sense to me, are correctly written and ones that fit in with my blog and demographic.  Correctly written? You may be saying... Yes, correctly written!  You wouldn't believe how many pitches I get that go directly to the trash bin in my e-mail.  These are just generically written e-mails with no real mention of myself or my blog.  So, how do you correctly write a pitch for a mommy blogger?  Take note of these simple tips below.


  • Talk directly to the blogger.   You are going to want to talk to the blogger and actual mention their name and their blog.  Even better, discuss the reasons why you contacted them in the first place.  Was it that their demographic matches that of your product?  Do you feel that they are influential enough to market your product through their blog? Are you extremely attracted to their website design or writing style?  What about their subject matter?  I'm not going to lie, every blogger loves a little attention and praise!  Get on their good side, kiss up in a good way, make the blogger want to promote your item!
  • Do not mass e-mail.  This could be grouped in with the above tip but I think this is too important to not highlight on it's own.  Do not send a mass pitch to multiple bloggers.  Even if you BCC trust me, the blogger will know!  We get way too many BCC'd pitches that we are wise to those who send them.  It may take a little longer but you will want to individually address each blogger that you are going to pitch.  It's worth the time, you will get a more positive response.  
  • Take time to do the research.  Make sure the blog you want to pitch accepts PR pitches.  Some blogs are not PR friendly and do not want to review any products or services.  Honestly, the majority of mom blogs out there do accept pitches, but there are a handful that do not welcome those types of e-mails.  Make sure there is a page or banner that says the blog accepts pitches
  • KEEP YOUR PITCHES RELEVANT.  Why do I capitalize that one?  It's the most important.  You have no idea how many pitches I get for things that my readers won't actually care about.  You can't be a local business writing to a mom blogger pitching about a product that the blogger doesn't write about.  Chances are, the e-mail will be skipped over.
  • Do not underestimate smaller blogs.  There may be a blog with 100-500 followers that you may be a little "iffy" about, but don't be. Some of these blogs with lower followers have loyal followers that participate on the blog and take every single word a blogger writes seriously.  These blogs may be the best blogs to pitch to.  Give them a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results.  Secondly, a lot of the larger bloggers work with different PR agencies who may get them the products that they pitch.  While I only get about 10-15 pitches per week, the larger bloggers probably get in excess of 100 pitches per week.  Your e-mail may just get lost in the sea of pitches in their inbox.

  • Only pitch by e-mail or DM.  Never tweet the pitch to the blogger.  Most bloggers find this disrespectful and not a public matter.  It is better to send them an e-mail directly or direct message them on Twitter if you must.  
  • Understand that moms are busy.  If you send your pitch and you are not sent an immediate response, don't worry.  Moms are busy people who have day jobs and home responsibilities.  They will get back to your pitch, it just may take a while.  Most moms only have computer time early in the morning before kids go to school, at nap time or after bedtime.  We have a small window of opportunity for what we do.
These tips may seem like no-brainers but you would be appalled at how many pitches I get that are generic or do not offer much value in what they say.  Some are just too short and don't really tell me why they want to work with me or how we both can benefit from working together.  Others write a novel that I'm not able to read because of the short time I have to get through the pitches I receive.  It's important to take the time and write a pitch that will please yourself or your client and the blogger as well.