Mar 26, 2013

My 28th Birthday!


Last Sunday, March 17th, was my 28th birthday.  My kids made me this beautiful green cake with green icing, chocolate chips and pretzels.  Didn't they do a great job?  Budding little bakers they are...

Yep, I was born on St. Patrick's Day but I'm not Irish at all.  I'm actually Polish and Italian.  Being adopted, I don't know the exact time I was born but I've been told that I was born at 11:58 PM on March 17th, so basically, I was almost born on March 18th.  Every single year on my birthday I feel such gratitude towards my birth mother because she chose to place me for adoption and give me a better life.  She made the extremely selfless decision that not many women have the strength to make.

I've known my biological family for 10 years and every single year my birth mother would send me a birthday card and a birthday Facebook message but unfortunately she passed away this past year.  I did get a little emotional when I realized that I wasn't going to hear from her this year.  She and I weren't close, she didn't get close to many people...but it was always a comfort to know that she cared enough to remember my birthday.  It always made me feel like I wasn't forgotten for those 18 years that I didn't know her.

My birthday was actually great.  We celebrated twice; one with my girls and one with my friends.  I actually had a great birthday even though we didn't do anything too much.  This was the first year, though, that I got to spend my birthday with one of my sisters, and that meant A LOT to me.  I had a great time!

My girls actually decorated the house in all St. Patrick's day green for my party at home and my mom made my traditional birthday dinner; corned beef and cabbage. :)

I had a great 28th birthday!