Feb 5, 2011

Is the middle class less knowledgeable about fashion?

Pissy Customer: "Do you own a pair of Louboutins? If not, maybe you shouldn't be giving fashion advice..."

Really?  Are you serious and so closed minded to think that unless I own a pair of Louboutins or other high end fashion purses/shoes/clothes I can't give fashion advice?  

As a personal shopper and sales associate, I have to be professional and calm all of the time.  It isn't a problem, however some customers can be very rude and out of line.  This one today was the definition of rude.  


It got me thinking that maybe there are people out there who think the same.  I'm sure a lot of customers assume just because I'm working for a high end fashion website that I own a number of the items that cost exorbitant amounts.  That's a natural assumption, however it is untrue.  The people I work with are so nice and down to earth.  They're the same middle class people that I am and most of us do not own any of the high end items that we sell.  Does that mean we're not knowledgeable?  Absolutely not.  We are very knowledgeable about what we carry.  If we weren't, we wouldn't have been hired to be personal shoppers.  


My job is awesome.  I love it.  It combines my sales experience with my love for fashion and there is hardly ever a dull moment.  The only time I want to jump out of an airplane is when I get closed minded customers like the one mentioned above.  The customers who have thousands of dollars to spend on designer merchandise, but belittle those who do not have them.  The ones who think they are better than everyone else.  I only wish I could afford a Gucci purse or a pair of Prada shoes.  That is a dream for me that I know will not happen.  (Well, not if I win the mega millions. lol)


I have absolutely no shame about admitting that we live from paycheck to paycheck.  I work hard to support my kids and myself and I do everything that I can to give them the best.  Does that mean I don't splurge once in a while?  No, I definitely do.  Once a year I do something special for myself.  This year it was my Coach purse that I purchased around Christmas.  It was a $200 purchase that I regretted like hell, but I knew I deserved something and I fell in love with the purse.


I know, I know, Coach does not even come close to Prada or Gucci, but it is what I can afford once in a while.  


There will always be snooty people in the world and when I come across them at work I kill em with kindness.  However, it still frustrates me because they should be counting their lucky stars that they were blessed with the wealth they have.  I am not saying they shouldn't spend money on those luxury items, but they should not look down on those working their asses off and those who cannot afford what they can.

0 comments: