Sep 26, 2010

Coffee is needed!


This is how I feel lately!  When I was a sophomore in High School and my English teacher suggested I become a writer, I was excited at the thought of maybe being able to do something exciting for a living. Something that I loved to do and something that I actually wanted to do.  For years that was my aspiration until real life came to bite me in the butt.  Hitting reality, having children and knowing I needed a full time job, I did what I had to do and put writing completely on the back burner.  It wasn't until about a year or so ago, when I started my blog, that I thought about writing again for a side job.  

I recently became a freelance writer for a few different companies and I do love it, don't get me wrong.  It's just not the great exciting job I always fantasized it to be.  It's very time consuming, it's stressful when you get assigned topics that you have to do research on and have to actually write handwritten notes for.  It's hard to write with the distractions of kids, my mom and the background noise and the lack of concentration really puts me on edge.  There are times when I go off like a rocket at anything because I can't think enough to finish writing as quickly as I want to.  I get assigned 4 articles per 48 hour period, which isn't difficult.  I can finish them as quickly as I'd like and get assigned more or I can wait until the past moment to submit them.  Working on a deadline is something that is completely new to me as well.  

It is true that freelance writers work for almost nothing.  The most that I get paid per article is $8 and the least is $5.  Again, it's not that bad.  I make, right now, about $100 extra per week and that helps a lot.  I would ideally love to get more, but I don't know how possible that is with the hecticness of my house and my full time job starting on Monday.  I am, however, determined to keep it at $100 extra per week even when I do start my FT job.

Don't get me wrong, I love writing.  It's important to me and it really helps me when I need something therapeutic, but it can also be a real pain in the ass when I want to sleep and have to reach a deadline! lol

0 comments: