May 27, 2010

Thursday Threes: If I Had Only Known...

I'm sure everyone has regrets in life.  I believe that life is too short to have too many regrets, but it's completely natural to wish you could go back and change something.  Honestly, if we didn't make the mistakes we have made in our past, we wouldn't be the people we are today.  I truly believe that we have to bypass many obstacles in life, and when we make mistakes, we learn from them.  

The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans is hosting "Thursday Threes: If I Had Only Known".  It's basically about going back in your life and picking three times where you wish you made a different choice.  It's not about having regrets, I believe it's about realizing that you could have done something different and that you could have righted that wrong.  It could be a great part of actually closing a door in your life, if you have been dwelling on a choice or mistake that you made.  (I feel like that about so much!)  

What do you wish you could have done differently?

I wish that as a 13 year old, I understood that I actually had more of a choice about what High School I wanted to go to.  At the point where I was choosing, I felt pressured into going to the private all girls High School that my family wanted me to go to.  I remember not wanting to go and wishing that I could tell my mom I wanted to go to the public HS.  I didn't dare.  I didn't want to let her down and didn't want her to get mad.  Little did I know, those four years of my life would be the worst that I have ever experienced.  Filled with death threats, hatred, terrible words and the worst depression I had ever felt.  I would have been offered more if I had gone to the other High School.  

As a teenager, I wish that I hadn't wanted to be "cool" and wish I had "waited". I wanted the guy to like me, so I did what I did.  This seems like a very common occurrence for a teenager, but I regret this deeply.  This is probably the #1 regret in my life.  I never realized, at that time in my life, that I should have waited.  I just wanted to date the "cool guy" and thought that would really help me with that.  I was very wrong.  I wish I could go back and tell my teenage self that it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

My goal, years ago, was to be a professional figure skater.  I was really working at it until I hurt my ankle during an exhibition and couldn't continue.  I always wanted to go back after my ankle healed, but after physical therapy and financial problems happening after that, I never got back into it.  I regret that because figure skating was my life for so long.  It was something that really de-stressed me and something I wish I could have finished and accomplished.

0 comments: