Jun 9, 2010

Exhaustion and Motherhood go hand in hand.

I remember the days in High School and College where I could stay up for hours on end.  I was able to get home at 3pm from school, stay up until 3 or 4 am, wake back up at 7 am and start the same thing all over the next day.  How I used to do that?  I'm going to feel old saying this, but I guess it was youth and the ease of not having responsibility.  It was easy for me to concentrate on school with very little sleep.  I felt like I could do anything while running on those 2 or 3 hours.  Oh, to be young younger again.  (And I'm not even old! I'm 25!)

This should actually go with the post that I wrote yesterday about things I wish I knew before motherhood because it's true!  I had absolutely no idea how physically and mentally draining it is to be a mom.  There are days where I feel absolutely drained by 5 or 6 pm.  Exhaustion to the point of not being able to move, not being able to think, migraine headache, the feeling that you can't keep your eyes open.  Complete and utter exhaustion.  Of course, moms don't get a break.  We have to get past the feeling of absolute exhaustion somehow -- And we always do come up with new and creative ways.  (Short of popping a NoDoz, 5 Hour Energy shot or running to Starbucks for that latte with as many espresso shots as humanly possible; none of which I have done.)  

Why do I feel so tired?  Even I am still trying to figure that out.  I don't work outside the house a regular job, I work sporadically for different companies on an as needed basis.  I've put my business on hold because of how hectic it is around here, so basically all I do is errands, cooking, cleaning and handling the kids.  I guess that is enough to completely tire you out.  After all, being a mom IS a full time job unto itself.  

Sleep is so important for moms.  I have heard from various places that lack of sleep and exhaustion causes depression or continues to worsen post partum depression.  I believe it and I feel it.  They suggest a mom get a full 12 hour night of uninterrupted sleep, but that's absolutely impossible.  How can any mom get a full night of sleep with young kids in the house?  It's always something!!  I'm lucky that my girls sleep well, once they go to sleep, but there are nights where they wake up in the middle of the night for one reason or another.  That's my mission for one night this year -- get 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep. (Making a mental note.)  Let's see if that actually happens. 

As I said yesterday, I love being a mom and love the journey.  I just wish that some days it were easier.  One day I'm sure I will wake up and see a change.  Maybe my kids will have some divine intervention to calm them down and make them listen to me. (HA!!)  Maybe I'll just magically have more energy to get through every day.  Until that day, I have to keep on coming up with creative ideas to help me gain more energy.  (Red Bull, here I come!!)  

Does anyone else feel exhaustion to the point of not being able to move or being physically achy?

0 comments: