Jul 18, 2010

There are still good people in the world

I self diagnosed myself as having old car syndrome.  Yes, I made it up and yes, it makes sense to me even if it doesn't to anyone else! lol  Since I had a car that was on it's death bed for about 2 years, I was constantly worried that something would go wrong on the road.  Yes, it was a constant worry of mine.  

Now that I have a new and safe car, I don't worry as much, but I still worry.  It's old habit.  I still have that fear that my car will break down, I still have the fear something will go wrong and I still have the fear that I'll be stranded.  This fear came to light yesterday when I pulled into the grocery store parking lot and saw that my left front tire looked as it was going flat.  I freaked out.  Most people wouldn't freak when their tire was slightly going flat, but I did.  So, I was on the phone with one of my friends asking how to fill a tire with air once I got to the gas station (I'm so sheltered) and I heard a voice next to me...

"Miss, do you need air in your tire?" It was a nice old man who was probably around how old my grandfather was.  So I told him I did and he said he had a portable air compressor and a tire pressure gauge in his car.  This good samaritan, who I didn't even get his name, took time out from his day to help me when he didn't have to.  Turns out, my tire pressure in that one tire was at 18 and it should be at 30.  He filled the tire with air for me and told me what to do the next time it happens.  

I did offer him something for helping me with this, but he wouldn't take it.  He told me, "Don't worry about it.  If my daughter was in your position, I'd want someone to help her."  I was so grateful for him and didn't even get his name.  I'm actually writing a letter to my local paper to thank him for his help.  I know it's really nothing, but for someone who has that fear and for someone who has no idea what to do if I ever did need air, I was very thankful and appreciative.  I'm so happy that there are still good people in the world.  

P.S.  I now have a tire pressure gauge with me just in case I feel I need it and I'm going to buy a portable air compressor tomorrow at Target. :)  I want to take good care of my car, since it's going to have to last me quite a while!

0 comments: